Start a new topic

Anxiously waiting for a bug fix update to Canvas 6.

Because there are too many bugs in Canvas Draw 6 for me, I stayed with v5. I'm anxiously waiting for an update, which I hoped would be ready by now. I'd rather see incremental updates more often with continuous bug fixes than wait a long time for a major upgrade, much like apps for iOS.

Here's the link to the page, scroll to the bottom.

https://www.canvasgfx.com/en/support/canvas-draw-6/

First thing I tested is the style sheets pop down menu, still broken as it was in the last v6 version. Very disappointed because I told them about that months ago. I'm not going to use it. DUMPED as of now.

I hate this forum, such a poor interface.

My main problem with CD 6 was the VERY long time it took to complete some actions on large bitmaps, such as changing contrast or brightness. I just checked with ver. 6.0.2 and it is no different than version 6.0.1. CD 5 is orders of magnitude faster--almost instantaneous. I'll stick with CD 5.

It is time for someone at Canvas to communicate with us and let us know what is going on. How can they repeatedly provide updates that don't seem to be any different? Are they even reading what we write?

Thanks for the link, Kohanmike.

My main problem with CD 6 was the VERY long time it took to complete some actions on large bitmaps, such as changing contrast or brightness. I just checked with ver. 6.0.2 and it is no different than version 6.0.1. CD 5 is orders of magnitude faster--almost instantaneous. I'll stick with CD 5.

It is time for someone at Canvas to communicate with us and let us know what is going on. How can they repeatedly provide updates that don't seem to be any different? Are they even reading what we write?

Next to the download link is a link for Release Notes of all the versions that includes fixes and add ons. The last version has a much longer list than the new version, not sure what that means. Here are the newest. I conversed with the development team including Albert, Nikki and also James (who is a liaison from ACD to GFX) and I know they're stretched very thin, but it is getting more difficult to wait so long with minimal results.

This forum is for the users to communicate with each, not as a support area, though there are infrequent times when someone on that side will reply. They expect for us to submit support tickets to inform them, which I just did (as well as email Albert, Nikki and James).

Improvements

• Screen drawing is optimized under Mojave and Catalina; Auto-scroll, Lenses, the Navigator palette, the Page Navigator palette, and more.

Fixes

• Fixed bug in which while you were doing free-form rotation on an image, you did not see the rotating rectangle.
  • Fixed bug in which Shift+drag to draw lines or edit lines did not respect 45-degree angles when the Smart Snaps was on.
  • Fixed bug in which the Markup tool did not draw in correct colors on Mojave and Catalina
  • Fixed bug in which templates did not fit to screen upon opening them.
  • Fixed bug in which the Knife tool did not show the feedback on High Sierra.
  • Fixed bug in which when you started editing a layer name in the layer tab of the layer controls, the original text did not disappear.
  • Fixed bug in which Text | Style | Plain did not remove the applied styles from the selected texts.
  • Fixed bug in which the Find feature caused refresh issues when finding objects that contained transform effects.
  • Fixed bug in which a palette popped up from the Docking bar got expanded to the full screen when you clicked File | New.
  • Fixed bug related to drawing with the Freehand tool on Mojave and Catalina.
  • Fixed bug related to using the Multigon tool.
  • Fixed bug related to using the Lasso tools.
  • Fixed bug related to using the Annotation : Multiple Sources tool.
  • Fixed bug related to grabbing the attributes from Concentric Circles, Spirals, EashShapes and Multigon in the Find palette.

I just received an email reply from Nikki about my style sheet menu problem. 

"Hi Michael, Thank you for contacting us. This had been fixed but a last minute resource issue caused this to happen. We are correcting this now. I will email you once complete. Kind regards, "

It was so nice to hear from her so quickly. I'll also ask her about the speed issue Sherwood is having.

Also received an email from James.

"Indeed, I received this (past) issue report in support ticket 10724. I believe I discussed in the weekly meeting with the development team, but neither of us logged this issue in our database. Fortunately, this will be an easy fix so Robert is creating a new build and that version shall be available today.  Nikki will update you once the new build is ready. Sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused. Happy new year and best regards."

Great to see they're on it so quickly. In my reply, I told James about Sherman's problem with editing bitmap speed, which I just tested myself and also see it.

Just downloaded 6.0.2.6074 and tested the Canvas Draw 6 problem I reported some time ago (I submitted a ticket at the time).  The problem is in using the Lasso selecting tool for bitmap images.  It is almost instantaneous in CD 5 and was glacially slow in CD 6.0.1.6054.  Well, it is faster in 6.0.2.6074, but still has the spinning beachball while it's thinking about finishing the selection.  Most strange, since the same process on the same image in CD5 5.0.2.51 (same computer, both versions opened at the same time so everything is identical) is essentially instantaneous.

I will submit a ticket about this.

Tim

Tim,

I suspect your problem may be caused by the same bug that causes my problems with slow bitmap work (described above). If so, it sounds like they're working on it today.

In the future, I'll make sure to submit tickets about problems I see, rather than just describing them in the forum.

Nikki just told me a new version is ready, 6075. The one style sheet problem where the popup list of choices is greyed out has been fixed, but there are two more popup lists that are grey. The bitmap slowness is still there.

I just tried the most recent version (6.0.2 Build 6075) and am still having an issue with not being able to print in landscape mode.  They have changed up the printer dialog and, even with landscape selected in Document set up and in the printer settings, it only prints in portrait mode.  There is a new weird print dialog box that has no option for landscape printing and only gives you the option to save and close or print - not even a cancel button.  You can go into the printer dialog and select landscape, but it has no effect.  Plus, every time I try to change print settings in Document Setup, it crashes on me.  Every.Single.Time.  I'm seriously thinking about resurrecting version 5, with so many bugs in version 6.  I feel like I am paying every year to be a beta tester.

In that "weird" print window, you need to click the Show Details button next to the PDF popup to show the landscape and portrait choices, and all the print functions.

As I think about it, I'm happy to pay a small fee every year to be a beta tester, and in my small way, be a part of the team that makes Canvas Draw better, and therefore exist at all. There are very few of them and they're under tremendous pressure to get so much done. I'm actually happy to see that could get a fixed version out so soon. I'm going to suggest to them to bring out incremental versions more often with fixes done little by little, instead of waiting a long time for many fixes to be done.

Hmmm....my print dialog looks different - maybe it's a MacOS thing (I'm using Majove). Among other things, it includes a preview pane on the left side of the dialog, and I have a button titled "Print Settings..." on the right side of the dialog towards the top. When I click Print Settings a second dialog will slide down that contains the Orientation buttons you see in Kohanmike's picture.  Where you may be having a problem is that I've noticed in landscape orientation, the landscape button on this dialog will appear to be selected, but it is not active. What I have to do is select the portrait button then immediately select landscape again. That appears to lock it in and it prints in the correct landscape orientation.

Login or Signup to post a comment