Start a new topic

Pointed lasso paint tool

I am in Canvas 5 on a Mac and keep forgetting to post this as I don't use this feature much. But every time it snags me I swear I am going to post and finally got here. Although in paint tools, the loopy lasso works fine, if I want to lasso something angular in an imported paint image, and choose the pointed version it gets "stuck" in my mouse and won't let go! I might finish a number of clicks to get back to the start but nothing I do after that -like double-click - will free me from the tool. I finally have to back completely out of the file and close, which risks losing other edits.

After clicking close to where you started, it doesn't have to be exact,  hit the escape key.

By the way, only hit the escape key once, then wait a few seconds.

Sherwood is correct. When I want to complete the area using the polygon lasso tool, I click my last point near to the first point and touch the escape key once, that will close the selection area.

(feeling pretty dumb)...well that worked fine! Must have never learned it in the long-ago stage of having the ring binder instructions. In my defense though, nothing I could find on the web seemed to explain it, either. Thanks to all, LW

Leslie Wagle wrote:

...well that worked fine! Must have never learned it in the long-ago stage of having the ring binder instructions. In my defense though, nothing I could find on the web seemed to explain it, either. Thanks to all, LW 

You should not feel bad. I have not done much on the image editing side of things, as I now use Canvas Draw/Canvas X mostly for making technical illustrations for reports; photos usually just need to be cropped to fit the target 4:3 aspect ratio and then rendered so that the final image is 192 ppi.

A few weeks ago I was working with some photos where I needed to focus on people at the head of queues in crowded spaces. The method I devised was to deselect the travelers at the head-of-queue so as to desaturate and slightly blur others in the photo. Like you, I was stuck trying to figure out how to close a polygon lasso. As you also noted, there seems to be little to no information on how to complete the polygon. In hindsight, it does make sense that the polygon lasso would function like its vector-based cousins.

Using the escape key for that isn't particularly intuitive....

It would be nice if you could smooth the path of the 'pointy' selection like you could if it was a polygon.

Login or Signup to post a comment