Start a new topic

Bugs in Canvas 6

Just downloaded CD 6 and already discovered a bug. when scrolling, the screen constantly blinks, basically redraws with every movement. Plus a grey box will appear for a moment obscuring part of the screen.

Deal breaker for me, went back to CD 5.

Mike, you know how the game works. If it was that obvious we would have caught it and fixed it before release. Please let me know a few things so we can try to duplicate the issue.

1: Are you using an Apple mouse or third party? If not Apple, which mouse?

2: Does it happen in a new document with some simple objects when trying to scroll it?

3: If not, can you send us a copy of the document this happens on?

4: I assume you are scrolling using the mouse gesture if Apple or wheel if third party?

5: Are you running under High Sierra or Mojave?

6: If Mojave, dark mode or light mode?

BTW: Fixes were made in Canvas Draw 6 so you can open those files which crash under Canvas Draw 5.

Thanks

A couple of more questions Mike. Are you doing this on a 4K monitor? If so, are you running it at 60hz refresh rate or 30hz? If you need to know how to find that out, let me know and I can step you through it.

Albert

I'm seeing the same thing Albert, it's not a deal breaker for me, but rather irritating.

OSX 10.13.6, cabled Apple Mighty Mouse (cuz I like those and they still work).

New with a single object or existing document makes no difference.

I'm scrolling with the wheel on top of the mouse.

This is on an iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015), 32 GB RAM.

Have fun, Hermie

Thank you Hermie, I will try this with a Mac Mini running 10.13.6 and a wired mouse with a wheel and see if that makes a difference. This Mac mini is connected to an LG 4K monitor.

Thanks again

Ok, I was able to confirm the flickering while scrolling with mouse under High Sierra Only. Currently we are still investigating to see what is causing this issue.

2 people like this

Hi Albert, good to hear from you. Here are my stats:

High Sierra 10.13.6

MacBook Pro 17" early 2011 with 2.2 Ghz i7, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB internal SSD with two 1 TB partitions. AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB

Apple full size Aluminum keyboard A1243 with Apple Mighty Mouse A1152, USB 1 (prefer a mouse to any kind of track pad)

Dell 19" second display 900x1440 60 Hz

Just tried pulling the scroll bar marker and it does not blink or redraw, so it might very well have something to do with mouse. I've tried other mice and I like the Mighty Mouse best. My MacBook Pro does not support Mojave.  Oh, it also blinks when using the MacBook Pro trackpad, but not when using the scroll marker.

I am running Mojave and do not see any flickering upon scrolling. It is nice and smooth for me.

I sent a reply a few hours ago and it's not here. What the heck?

I tested the blinking redraw and found that when I grab the scroll marker and move it up and down, the screen does not flicker, either with my mouse or the track pad. It flickers when I use the roller on the mouse and two fingers the track pad.

I have a MacBook Pro early 2011 17" 2.2 GHz, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Apple USB 2 Mighty Mouse, Apple USB 2 Aluminum Keyboard, Dell Monitor 900x1440 60Hz. High Sierra 10.3.6.

We found the issue, for now as Mike mentioned you can either scroll manually or use the hand tool if the flickering is really bad for you under High Sierra. This is not a problem under Mojave.

The hand tool, didn't think of that since I rarely use it, but it is very convenient. Looks like I will use CD 6. Thanks Albert.

For the last couple of months I've been debating with myself to replace my 2011 MacBook Pro 17" with a 2018 Mac Mini; i7 6 Core, 32GB of RAM, 128 GB internal solid state storage (just for the system), 8 TB external PCIe 4 slot OWC Express 4M2 Thunderbolt 3 NVMe M.2 enclosure with 4 SP 2 TB drives RAID 0 (I've been using Final Cut Pro X more lately). an 8 TB backup drive, web cam and heavy duty uninterrupted power supply. (An equivalent MacBook Pro would be well over $4500 and I don't need to be portable anymore.) I hesitate because it will cost about $3200 and my 19 year old Pontiac minivan needs some work. 

Even though my MacBook is running well, I did have to replace the motherboard a few years ago, and it's not compatible with Mojave. Canvas Draw having a problem with High Sierra (who knows how long before it's fixed), pushes me to consider buying.

My 70th birthday is in early September and I'm about to be paid $4000 for this year's LA Lawyers Philharmonic 10 Year anniversary 64 page concert program that I made in Canvas Draw, and the concert photography I do (my only client since I retired 6 years ago), but I'm still concerned about my car, I can't afford to buy a replacement 7-8 passenger vehicle (I car pool often with members of my seniors ukulele group). Seems I'm convincing myself to buy the Mac Mini.

Found another bug. I have long snaking text in two columns. When I double click and slide, the text does not highlight. I have to escape the object for the highlight to show. Started in CD 6, worked in CD 5.

Two things that I love about the past couple of versions of Canvas Draw: dynamic effects and the ability to copy as PDF for pasting into Pages, Keynote, etc. However:

When you copy a vector object with a dynamic effect (shadow, glow, etc.), the effect gets clipped and, even though the pasted image is a PDF, the PDF just contains a raster of the vector object. This does not occur if one saves the graphic as a pdf and then pastes that saved pdf into the Pages document. The included screen shot from Pages at 400% scale shows both effects for the pasted pdf. It contains the same object both with and without a shadow. The top has been rasterized inside the pasted PDF where as the bottom is still a vector.

1 person likes this

While I am whining about dynamic effects, could we also get an interior glow? The current glow is exterior only. This could be implemented as simple checkbox in the current glow dialog. Interior glow is very useful, for example, if one wants to make an "artistic" body of water in a map as shown in the attached screen shot, which was made in the app Graphic:

While I would much prefer that SVG import be enabled in Canvas Draw, SVG files are shown as selectable in the open file dialog when "Automatic" is selected under Options (the default setting) even though they are not. In fact, when Automatic is selected, *all* files are displayed, not just the ones that Canvas Draw can open This misleads users into thinking that they can open SVG files (or any other type, like Word docs, etc.), only to be greeted with an error dialog when they try.

Login or Signup to post a comment