Start a new topic

Importing or opening Canvas X files (.cvx) in Canvas Draw 5

Hey all, I am currently evaluating Canvas Draw 5 for Mac. I previously used Canvas X version X.0.2 Build: 925 and I have a number of files that were saved as .cvx files. Many of these files contained a mixture of both text written in Canvas X and images that were pasted in. I can open these files fine in Canvas X but when I try to open them in Canvas Draw 5 the pasted images are not visible. If I click on the place where the image was supposed to be then a box appears, implying that something is actually there, yet nothing can be seen. The text and any objects I make in Canvas X are visible in Canvas Draw 5 fine but the pasted images are not.

Does anyone have any explanation for this and can you help me with it because I need to be able to open my old files and the ability to do so will affect my decision on whether to buy the product (Canvas Draw 5) or not.

Thank you, Alan.

Alan,

I have so many old cvx files that I open some almost every day, but I don't have any problem.

Try this, in Canvas Draw, in the Layout menu, open the Display drop down menu and de-select Wire Frame.

-Sherwood

I tried that bud. Didn't work. Thing is if I save the Canvas X .cvx file as a .cvi file then it opens fine in Canvas Draw. It The Canvas X .cvx files contain a mixture of pasted images from non-Canvas programs and text from Canvas X. I can't help feeling though that there is a trick with Canvas Draw that will let me open it as the original .cvx file. I'm happy to attach one of the files to see if you can open the image parts.

Please attach a file, I'd like to try as well. As far as I understand, it doesn't matter where the image originated, once it comes into Canvas, it becomes Canvas format, but I thought I read somewhere in Canvas release notes that when importing certain older Canvas files, images might be blank boxes.

Sure, if you can attach a file, I'll see what I can figure out.

I'm attaching 2 files. One is the original, ungrouped .cvx image created in Canvas X containing a few images (pasted in) and some text and shapes (added in Canvas X).

The other is the same .cvx file only saved as a .cvi file. I've added this so you can see what images should be there.

cvi
cvx

Alan,

The graphics in your .cvx file are in pict format. Pict is not supported by Canvas Draw.

If you have a computer running Canvas X, you can open the cvx files, then bitmat the graphics. Remove the pict versions from the files and re-save as cvx. They should open fine in Canvas Draw. If you no longer have access to Canvas X, let us know.

Issue is resolved. Thanks for all your help everyone. It was the format of the original images that was the problem.

Thanks for all your help, Alan.

Login or Signup to post a comment