Start a new topic

GIS Module to Canvas Draw

In a separate post, it was suggested that a poll ought to be taken to see if there was sufficient interest in bringing the GIS module to Canvas draw so I thought I would start a new thread with that in mind.

As a geologist, I've used Canvas for 30 years and, even though a Mac user, I still use the windows version with GIS to make maps of geospatial information (an essential activity for any geologist). I've even written software for formatting tables of strike and dip symbols to plot on maps. The work flow with dedicated GIS systems is make the map in ArcGIS or what ever and then port the result to a vector drawing program to "pretty it up" for publication. With Canvas GIS, I can do all of that in one program. Especially useful is Canvas' seamless combination of vector and raster capabilities. I can warp a raster (e.g., satellite image, hill shade topo) and plot my vector data right on top. In my most recent project, using the Windows version of Canvas GIS I imported a Chilean geological map of a mine which used the PSAD56 datum and warped it to UTM/WGS84 coordinates.

Although I could continue to use the Windows version in VMWare Fusion as I do now, I would absolutely love, and pay extra for, the GIS module in Canvas Draw on the Mac.

1 person has this question

Richard A, thanks for the link to ImageJ.   Surely the best solution for ratioing.

Out of curiosity, I just tried using Transfer->Difference in Canvas Draw for overlaid Landsat imagery which had little topography (therefore without the illumination problems that  ratioing is supposed to eliminate).  Definitely highlighted the differences between bands and between various band combinations.  Interpretable?  Well, that's another question!

Tim

CanVas X Has the abi;its to perform arithmetic functions in the Scientific imaging module including division. So the question becomes a matter of finding the legacy scientific image module as well as seeing if it is present in the newer versions of Canvas. is it possible to get a legacy version scientific image module for Mac Canvas X to use until it upgrades for the Mac?

I'm also investigating ImageJ. Looks promising after a dry spell on Social Security...

My most powerful machine currently is a MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2.53GHz, Mid 2009), 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3. running OS 10,11.8, which will be upgraded ti Sierra or High Sierra. I don't know if it will take more RAM. Considering I've been using a PowerBook G4 with OS X 10.5.6 it's been quite a jump. I'm also using a iBook G6 with 10.4.11 and an upgraded PowerMac 7300 with a G3 card, USB & Firewire & 1gb ram with OS 9.1. It's mainly used for my geologic data spreadsheets for subsurface well tops thicknesses etc.

I remember the old NIH Image, I've downloaded ImageJ and will see how well it will work. My canvas image & geology files are also typically 200-400 mb. I would really like to see if the scientific imaging module for my mac version of Canvas would work. according to the manual it should be able to. At the time I bought Canvas with GIS, I was also interested in the scientific image module but was thought it was an either/or situation . Too bad CanvasGFX won't offer some legacy support for Canvas X since they don't offer the full version of Canvas for the Mac.

Login or Signup to post a comment